note for rules: i dont normally use prime requisites and have different ability scores, so pr wont be listed and i will provide easy conversions for ability scores. in my games, non-fighter classes dont advance in combat ability (mostly because of how i allow multiclassing), so only fighter-types will have attack bonus/attack matrix. i treat item restrictions differently, but my ruling for that isnt going here, and they will still be listed.
barbarian isnt a class. barbarian is what the "civilized" people call the "uncivilized" people. nah, thats a background, not a class. barbarians go berserk, so they are BERZERKERS
you could be a super-soldier who has broken from the platoon and gone on a sadistic rampage, or you could simply be some manic and violent guard or militiaman, or even a wild thing that was brought up by beasts in the wilderness. berzerkers are unified by violence and anger and inability to be reasoned with.
HIT DICE: 1d8 (see below) (+2/level after 9th)
COMBAT: +1/2 level to attacking
SAVING THROWS: +2 to stamina and strength, -2 to magic and intellect (or as fighter)
WEAPONS: anything that isnt too complicated or weak (no bows, no crossbows, no daggers, etc.)
ARMOR: light and medium armor
MAGIC ITEMS: none
XP to LEVEL 2: 2,000
berzerkers have the following class features:
- if you are not wearing any armor, you can spend points of strength as if it were armor points
- you begin play with 1d8 grit points in addition to your stamina (constitution) score (if not using my ability score system, have them begin play with 2d8 hp)
- you receive a +1/2 level bonus to your attack if you attack a different creature on each of your turns in combat (this adds up to a full +level attack bonus if doing that)
- beginning at level 2, you are able to go into a violent trance. during such an episode, you are unaffected by the world around you and only react to violence. your only goal is death.
- at level 3, and every third level afterwards (levels 6, 9, 12, etc.), you have a strange effect during your violent episodes. example powers are listed below.
- darkness vision: you can see in darkness during your violent trances. eyes are humongous and dominated by pupil.
- forceful bite: if you attack with your mouth during a trance, it deals 1d8 damage. mouth is filled with huge terrible fangs
- hardened skin: you count as armor 2, even without spending points of strength, during an episode of violence. however, this makes you move slower. skin is only callouses and scabs.
- monster sense: you can sniff the air to detect a certain breed of creature (this can be done outside of a trance, but at diminished effect).
- venom: your attacks are venomous, and deal 1 additional point of damage each following turn.
- really loud shout: can deafen or incapacitate creatures for a time with your incredibly loud shouting/burping.
it is important to note that you must come up with how you got such abilities. also, physical changes do not go away when not in a violent trance, they are simply diminished.